James Gent

James Gent

June 16, 2022 8:31 pm


Ferrari is set to launch 15 new vehicles between 2023 and 2026, among which will be the Italian brand’s first fully-electric vehicle, now scheduled for launch in 2025.

The announcement was made during Ferrari’s Capital Markets Day investor program, the previously announced EV marked as the latest step in Ferrari’s “electrification journey.” Thus far, this has included the launch of the hybrid LaFerrari in 2013 as well as four more electrified models – the SF90 Stradale and Spider, and the 296 GTB and GTS – introduced since 2019.

Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Ferrari’s presentation however emphasized that, while the Italian brand was taking “deliberate actions” towards becoming carbon-neutral by 2030, a full transition to electrification would not happen. Indeed, Ferrari’s presentation specifically highlighted its dedication to three different powertrains, each of which will boast its own “distinct driving emotion.”

Ferrari bases this decision both on a quote from founder Enzo – “the engine is the soul of the car” – and internal combustion’s “essential part of the company’s heritage.”

By 2026, Ferrari forecasts that 60 per cent of its product portfolio will be hybrid and/or fully-electric, while the remaining 40 per cent will be powered by internal combustion. This is due to shift further by 2030, with full EVs comprising 40 per cent and hybrid vehicle a further 40 per cent, though ICE models will still account for 20 per cent of the roster.

A large portion of this 20 per cent is likely to come from the Italian marque’s limited-run ‘Icona’ – i.e. the recently-launched V12 Daytona SP3 – and ‘Speciale’ models. The bespoke Iconas will represent “less than 5 per cent” of total sales to maintain their uniqueness, while the similarly aspirational ‘Specials’ will cover “around 10 per cent.” The bulk of Ferrari’s ICE sales are thus likely to come from the new, V12-powered Purosangue SUV to be launched this September.

Read more: Lamborghini CEO outlines plans for brand’s first EV

Details regarding Ferrari’s first-fully-electric model meanwhile remain thin on the ground, the presentation revealing only that the new powertrain will feature “strong commonalities with the internal combustion engine,” and, as to be expected, will boast technology developed by or in tandem with Ferrari’s Formula 1 program.

Ferrari Daytona SPF

Ferrari Daytona SPF

The battery packs will be assembled at Maranello though at a brand-new ‘e-building’, and will be integrated into the chassis itself to prioritize power-to-weight ratio and vehicle rigidity, and thus, maneuverability. Alongside reduced weight, ‘engine power density’ is a pillar on which the new EV has been developed, meaning power and torque should be suitably Ferrari-esque.

“With their unwavering commitment and passion, the women and men of Ferrari are determined to flawlessly execute this strategic plan and to build on all the opportunities that lie ahead, embracing our founder’s will: to keep alive the will to progress pursued in the past,” CEO Benedetto Vigna explained. “We will continue to draw on our competitive advantages: uniqueness and technological leadership, whilst taking actions to reach carbon neutrality by 2030”.

Top Stories
Build the Unexpected.

Build the Unexpected.

Aliquam tempus, eros ultricies varius tincidunt, mauris quam congue sapien, tincidunt ullamcorper nibh augue in neque. Aliquam tempus, eros ultricies varius tincidunt, mauris quam congue sapien, tincidunt ullamcorper nibh augue in neque. Aliquam tempus, eros ultricies varius tincidunt, mauris quam congue sapien, tincidunt ullamcorper nibh augue in neque. Aliquam tempus, eros ultricies varius tincidunt, mauris quam congue sapien, tincidunt ullamcorper nibh augue in neque.

Featured in this story

2021 Mustang Mach-E

Starting at $50,495

2021 Mustang Mach-E BUILD & PRICE

Distance Driven: 2,412 km

Times charged: 6

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse a arcu et tellus iaculis laoreet. Nam eu tortor vitae nunc tempus llamcorper ac vel ipsum. Nulla accumsan nunc sem.

Read More News